ESA Spark Funding is designed to accelerate the product development process of a company that is integrating space technology, as well as to hone the commercialisation roadmap. This should result in an enhanced offering to their customers. Companies can apply for up to €40,000, with a co-funding requirement of the same amount. Co-funding can be provided either in cash or in manhours from the applicant. Project timescale should be from 3-12 months in duration.
Who Should Apply?
- SMEs or larger entities who already have existing product lines, who are looking to innovate and gain a competitive advantage through integrating space technology into these products or to create new products.
- The space technology/know-how should be at a mature enough stage that transfer into the new application is possible.
- Technical feasibility should already be demonstrated and no fundamental technical hurdles remain. For instance, a feasibility study or proof of concept project could have been undertaken previously.
- A working relationship between the Space Technology Provider and Product Developer should already be initiated.
- The Product Developer should already have prospective customers or at least a clear understanding of the customer segments to be targeted.
- Based upon the requirements of the Customer or segment the Product Developer should be able to show that a commercially viable product can be created.
- This can include activities such as:
- Product development
- Demonstration with customer
- Manufacturing simulation
- Commercialisation roadmapping